Commercial Vehicle On-Board Safety Systems Roundtable
This ITF Roundtable covered the following specific issues:
- What CMV-specific technologies for automation exist, covering different platooning (two or more vehicles) concepts and full automation?
- What are specific implications of the range of technology options on infrastructure requirements and human factors?
- In what way can such a system interact with both manually operated passengers cars and manually operated CMVs that are not part of such a scheme?
- How can the potential wider societal and economic benefits be locked in, without risking other additional negative effects (e.g. multiple trucks close together at merging areas)?
- How do these systems need to be regulated in order to allow safe operation; should this be driven by industry or should governments assist development?
- What are the policy implications of heavy vehicle automation in order to ensure safe operation; how are liability, security and privacy concerns being addressed?